The 10 Best Sweet Potatoes Recipes For Thanksgiving
If you are tasked with bringing a side dish to Thanksgiving this year, check this list of the 10 Best Sweet Potatoes Recipes and be prepared for praise.
Along with the cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and Brussels sprouts, you must make room for a sweet potato side dish at Thanksgiving this year.
I’m a die hard sweet potato fan, I love sweet potato soup, sweet potato salad, if it has sweet potatoes in it, I’m eating it! They are savory-sweet, packed with nutrients, and add lots of bright, vibrant color to the table and our plates. They make a fabulous gluten-free option and several of the recipes below are also vegan.
I think you’ll find this list has something for everyone, from traditional sweet potato casserole to simple roasted sweet potatoes. Take a look and pick your favorite then let me know how it goes. I want to hear all the rave reviews in the comments below.
10 Sweet Potatoes Recipes For Thanksgiving
1. Blistered Sweet Potatoes with Serranos and Lime from ¡Hola! Jalapeño
Cozy up to a pan of these baked sweet potatoes that are roasted with sweet and spicy syrup made from serrano chiles, lime juice, sugar, and coconut oil. This vegan side dish is a little spicy, a little sweet, and absolutely irresistible.
2. Sweet Potato Casserole Tian from This Mess Is Ours
This is like the beauty queen of sweet potato casseroles. Swirls of thinly sliced sweet potato and tart green apple are coated in a buttery maple syrup and spice mixture. This is a celebration of fall and gluten-free too!
3. Butter Pecan Sweet Potatoes Recipe from G-Free Foodie
Just 7 simple ingredients make this sweet potatoes recipe a winner. The sweet potatoes get roasted on a baking sheet then tossed with buttery brown sugar pecans for the perfect combination of creamy and crunch. Hero ingredient? The slightly spicy caramelized pecans!
4. Vegan Spicy Sweet Potato Mash from Brown Sugar and Vanilla
Want to switch up your mashed potatoes game? Try this recipe that combines white potatoes and sweet potatoes. You cook sweet potatoes and potatoes until soft then mash them and top them with a spicy vegan chipotle cheese sauce. This vegan queso is a keeper made with cashews, chipotles in adobo, and garlic powder.
5. Classic Sweet Potato Casserole from Alexandra’s Kitchen
This recipe is super indulgent, could be sweet potato pie but in a casserole dish. In other words, the familiar sweet potato casserole we all know and love. If you are craving soul-satisfying nostalgia, this recipe is it.
6. Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Ginger and Scallions from ¡Hola! Jalapeño
Olive oil roasted sweet potatoes get tossed with fragrant sautéed ginger, garlic, and scallions. Bright and zingy flavors that are perfect for cutting through the rich dishes that fill the Thanksgiving table. An awesome vegan option!
7. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes from The View From Great Island
If it’s marshmallows you crave, try these adorable individual sweet potato boats. Roast sweet potatoes whole then scoop out the soft flesh, mash with butter and buttermilk and spoon back into the skins. Top with mini marshmallows and bake again! Fluffy, creamy, sweet, and comforting. A classic recipe in a mini single serving.
8. Cheesy Scalloped Sweet Potato Casserole from Joyful Healthy Eats
This recipe takes slices of sweet potato and layers them with gruyere cheese, fresh herbs, and garlic butter. Gorgeous, rich without being overwhelming, and infused with fall flavors.
9. Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes from Creme De La Crumb
The easiest recipe of the bunch with just 5 ingredients and all made in the slow cooker. This recipe is great for Thanksgiving because the slow cooker can keep them warm until you are ready to serve.
10. Herbed Hasselback Sweet Potatoes from Pamela Salzman
Gorgeous presentation and delicious results. These thin strips of sweet potato taste almost like sweet potato fries—crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle. For that perfect accordion look, use two chopsticks on either side of the sweet potato to prevent cutting all the way through. This recipe uses ghee (a type of clarified butter) but you could easily swap olive oil for a vegan version.
More Delicious Side Dishes
- The Best Mashed Potatoes Recipes (another holiday classic)
- Warm Wild Rice Salad (with chili-fried nuts and torn kale)
- Rajas Con Crema (roasted poblano peppers in a sour cream sauce)
- Butternut Squash, Kale, and Walnut Stuffing (from ¡Hola! Jalapeño)
- Sofrito Black Beans (another favorite side dish from our sister site)
- Easy Cornbread Recipe (make it into muffins or a whole loaf)
- How To Cook Broccolini (a simple method with amazing results)
Which One Of These Sweet Potatoes Recipes Will You Make First?
Whatever you choose, you can’t go wrong. Let me know what you try them by snapping a pic and tagging me on Instagram @katesbestrecipes so I can see or leave me a comment below!