Shockingly good, this Broiled Cod recipe is truly the best! Coated in a lemon sauce then broiled, it comes out moist, flakey, and super flavorful. Check out the video!
I’m always on the look out for new, easy ways to prepare budget-friendly fish like cod. I ran across this recipe on Serious Eats a long time ago and fell in love with the lemon sauce that creates a bit of creaminess and a nice brown crust on top.
Ingredients to Make Broiled Cod
- Skinless cod fillets
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Anchovy paste
- Fresh thyme
- Red chile flakes, optional
How To Make It!
Prep the oven and pan. Preheat the broiler to high and arrange an oven rack so it is in the upper third of the oven about 4-6 inches from the broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Don’t use parchment paper, it will burn.
Season the cod. Cut the cod into 6-ounce fillets if they aren’t already. Pat the fillets dry with paper towel and set on the baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season both sides well with salt and pepper.
Mix the sauce. Combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest, anchovy paste, and thyme in a medium bowl. Stir in the lemon juice until mixture is smooth.
Broil. Coat the top of each fillet with the sauce. It will seem like a lot but use all the lemon sauce. Cut the other lemon in half and place the two halves on the pan too. Place cod under the broiler and cook until the top is golden and the fish fillets flake easily and are cooked through, about 4-6 minutes (depending on the thickness).
Serve. Serve fish immediately with the broiled lemon wedges a sprinkling of more thyme leaves and red chile flakes, if desired.
More Easy Dinner Recipes You’ll Love!
- Beef Stir-Fry with Mushrooms
- Pasta with Almond Pesto and Green Beans
- Tomato and Rice Soup with Dill
- Dill and Mustard Seed Salmon
- Baja Fish Tacos with Radish Pico de Gallo (from our sister site, ¡Hola! Jalapeño)
- Basic Pan-Fried Steak
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup (again from ¡Hola! Jalapeño)
Ready To Make One Of The Best Cod Recipes Ever?
This broiled cod recipe is going to knock your socks off, I promise. When you try it, let me know how it went! Share a photo and tag me on Instagram using @katesbestrecipes so that I can see (don’t forget to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating)!
LEMONY BROILED COD RECIPE
- Heat broiler and arrange a rack in the upper third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay fillets in a single layer on foil. Drizzle oil over fish and rub over both sides. Lightly season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.
- Zest 1 of the lemons then cut it in half and measure out 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Remove the ends of the other lemon so it sits upright, cut in half and set aside. Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, then spread over fish. It will seem like a lot, but use all the mayo mixture. Place the two lemon halves, flesh-side-up on the tray next to the fish.
- Broil fish until cooked through and top has browned, about 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle with chili flakes and more thyme leaves if you'd like, then serve with the broiled lemon halves.
In support of this small business, Kate’s Best Recipes earns revenue in a few different ways. Several sponsored posts are published each month. I also earn an affiliate commission on the sales of products I link to— there are a few of those links in this post. I only feature items I genuinely love and personally use on a regular basis. This commission is an arrangement between the retailer and ¡Hola! Jalapeño (readers never pay more for products). This income allows me to run the site. Thank you for reading!